If the outdoor enthusiast in your life is also a mom, you’re in luck. We’ve got the scoop on things she’ll love and any of them would make the perfect Mother’s Day gift. For some, flowers and chocolate are always solid go-to ideas. But you’re better than that. Give her something that hints at the adventure she’s dying to take. Give her something with a little utility. We’re not talking about a new toaster here…. we don’t want to see you end up in the doghouse. Hey, we don’t make the rules. We’re just trying to help.
Pick one. Pick them all. Whatever you choose, you’ve got our word on it that you’ll make her smile.
1) No morning is complete without coffee. Just because you wake up in a tent in the woods, that doesn’t mean you’ll have to do without. In fact, the best cups of java you may ever have will be among the pines, but only if you’re prepared. Whether you’re hiking light or traveling with a load, this stainless-steel pour-over brewer is perfect. We’re betting on it.
2) Water for the coffee won’t boil itself, but this little stove is the real deal. In just 3.5 minutes, you can have a liter of water hot and at the ready. What you don’t use for coffee, you can use to reconstitute your travel meals. Breakfast is served. First the coffee…then the things. Don’t forget the propane canister!!Buy the MSR PocketRocket 2 Stove here for $44.95
3) If your last pair of dry socks has ever ended up wet, you know how one little mishap can quickly change the direction of an otherwise enjoyable adventure. Keep dry stuff dry with a Simms
Dry Creek Dry Bag. If you get lucky, mom might let you keep your socks in here, too. Buy The Simms Dry Creak Dry Bag here starting at $29.95
4) Speaking of socks, remember when you’d watch in disbelief and confusion as grandpa reacted with excitement over his annual Christmas socks? It turns out that socks aren’t as lame as you thought. In fact, the right ones can make or break an outdoor expedition. Merino wool is soft, itch free and odor and bacteria resistant. It’s cool in the summer and warm in the winter...making it the perfect material for socks. Check out some of our favorites at www.farmtofeet.com. They’re all made from sheep raised by American farmers on American farms. Browse RepYourWater products here starting at $25
5) The last time we went adventuring, we were in bed by 7:30. Not because we were tired, but because there was a fire ban, we had zero light sources with us and the night was pitch black. Nothing that 130 lumens and a little preparation couldn’t have prevented. The Black Diamond
ReVolt Headlamp comes in rust, black or denim, has 6 settings and is completely rechargeable. Don’t forget the the batteries!Browse Black Diamond products here
6) For nights when you ARE allowed a campfire, enjoy it from the comfort of a Helinox Chair One
. It’s compact, durable (holding up to 320 pounds) and lightweight enough that you could hike it into the backcountry if you really wanted to. Weighing in at just a little over 2 pounds, you’d probably never even notice. If you really want to relax in style, you could always choose the one with rocker legs. Marshmallows not included!!Buy the Helinox Chair One here for under $100
7) Pics or it didn’t happen, right? Well, maybe that’s not true. But, at least for the sake of posterity, there’s something to be said for documenting an epic adventure. The Goal Zero Nomad 7 Plus Solar Panel
will help ensure that you never reach for your device and find it lifeless as the perfect moment disappears into thin air. Equipped with weatherproof layering, it sloughs rain and snow and it will produce power any time it’s exposed to sunlight, helping you keep everything charged. With a rating of 4.9 out of 5, we’re not sure you could go wrong.Browse Goal Zero products here
8 Never underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep. With a 3” baffled air cell and a cotton jersey cover, the NEMO
Equipment Fillo Elite Ultralight Backpacking Pillow will help you sleep like a baby. The only thing that would be more comfortable would be sleeping in your own bed. It’s negligible weight (just shy of 3 ounces) will make it virtually undetectable in your pack and you’ll wake ready to climb mountains.Buy the NEMO Equipment Filo Elite Ultralight Backpacking Pillow here for $34.99 (on sale!)
Happy Mother’s Day to all the mom’s in the world. Thank you for tackling the grandest adventure of all: Motherhood. We hope your special day is wild, exciting and full of love and light.
Words by Amber Leach
Amber is a freelance writer with roots in Appalachia and a passion for clean
water conservation. She founded the Kentucky chapter of The Mayfly Project
and represents the Bluegrass State as the 2nd District Director for Kentucky
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. Connect with her on Instagram, @amberleachky